Thursday, April 22, 2010

I don't like shadows.

So I'm recently finding out that I'm pretty much living in the shadow of like my whole family. I don't have any traits or abilitys or anything that make me stand out in the crowd.

Dads side of the family: My cousin Matt is a Senior and is one of the best high school hockey and lacrosse players in the state, my other cousin Adam is a sophomore and is amazing at basketball and lacrosse and of course they've both managed to carry 4.0 GPA's through high school, so they're amazingly smart. Their dad is a very successful Mechanical Engineer at U of M, and is also amazingly smart.

Moms side of the family: My cousin Tyler is an all state wrestler and also amazingly smart, and my cousin Steven, who is only 3 months older than me, is also an all state wrestler and amazingly smart. Their dad is an amazing musician.

Sure, I can sing somewhat, and play piano somewhat, and play guitar somewhat, but since I'm not some child prodigy, no one in my family cares. And since my brother is such an amazing singer, and he's going to Eastern for Music Ed, they all go gaga over him.

What "special talents" do I have? I'm mediocre at Volleyball, I'm an okay singer, I'm mediocre at piano and guitar, I'm not some super genius, and I have really high "unrealistic" plans for myself in the future. So pretty much, I'm nothing compared to the rest of my family.

No this isn't me trying to complain about something, this is me wanting to be individual and be noticed for something other than my cousin, or my brother, or anything like that. I want to be known for me.

I don't like shadows.

1 comment:

  1. caitlin,
    i find this to be craaap.
    your a great singer.
    and an amazing dancer,
    your an incredibly smart girl and you shouldn't say your "mediocre" at things like volleyball guitar and piano because your quite good actually.

    I'm just saying..
    without love @ hand,
    Shiloh :]

    ReplyDelete